Bridge Project Manager
Greater Boston Area,, United States
The Project Manager is responsible to take ownership of the bridge project profit and loss and ensure that projects are well planned and successfully executed. This may include managing or coordinating with a team of Project Coordinators and other Project Managers. Among many important activities, it is most important that projects are executed safely, on time, and within budget while maintaining positive communication with the client. This assignment may be involved with management of subcontractors/suppliers involved with the fabrication/erection of bridge projects.
- Ensure a “Safety First” attitude throughout the project from all levels of management and operations;
- Read, understand, and plan according to work specifications and contract responsibilities and ensure that all contractual requirements are met;
- Ensure projects meet cost requirements. Meet with Director of Project Management if costs exceed budget and obtain permission before approving out-of-budget costs;
- Interface with necessary departments and subcontractors/suppliers to determine the scheduling of work and material;
- Meet with customers and vendors to identify potential barriers with resolutions that maximize production and minimize costs;
- Visit project site as needed and required. This may consist of out of state travel;
- Develop and maintain a working relationship with the client as well as the owner or the owner’s representative;
- Anticipate project conflicts, communicate preventative action plans, and implement solutions to avoid issues;
- Understand and plan work according to project plans, change orders, shop drawings, subcontracts, purchase orders, and monthly pay estimates;
- Create, update, review, and maintain budget for project. Generate solutions to stay on time and on budget;
- Monitor the cost and implement strategies to stay within budget;
- Schedule the project in logical steps and budget time required to meet deadlines;
- Provide leadership to others through the example and sharing of knowledge/skills;
- Oversee daily field activities leading to optimal progression of project with Superintendents (if needed);
- Present information/reports and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public;
- Be involved with managing or coordination with Project Coordinators and/or other Project Managers;
- Select and oversee subcontractors and suppliers;
- Serve as a customer liaison;
- Manage change orders, budget schedule, claims, safety, staff, etc.
- Have overall responsibility for entire project or projects.
- B.S. in Civil Engineering, Construction Management or equivalent combination of education and/or experience;
- 5-10 years of experience as a Project Manager with exposure to fabrication/erection of bridge and heavy structural projects with major scope;
- Must have experience with management of subcontractors and suppliers;
- Profit/loss experience for moderate to major projects or multiple smaller projects;
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software, reporting tools.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of bridge industry standards;
- Good verbal and written communication skills. Ability to effectively plan and organize to meet project deadlines;
- Individual should some level of business acumen, including knowledge of operating expenses, profit, etc. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations;
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists;
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Travel requirement is around 25%.
Canam is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/Vets/Disabled and participates in the E-Verify program.