Buckeye, AZ, United States
Canam Group is the largest fabricator of steel components in North America. Specialized in designing construction solutions and fabricating customized products since 1961, Canam Group takes part in an average of 10,000 construction projects each year in one activity sector divided into three groups of products and services: buildings, structural steel and bridges. The Corporation operates 25 plants across North America and employs over 4,650 people in Canada, the United States, Romania and India.
The Chief Engineer is responsible for design engineering for steel joist products. Supervise design staff to complete design submittals and shop fabrication documents consistent with specifications, schedules, and company requirements. Coordinate design activities with other departments, including sales, purchasing, drafting, project management, and production.
- Design or check steel components to insure individual embers and welds meet requirements of applicable specifications and codes (SJI, AISC, AWS, etc.).
- Review product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, and customer contract requirements, and related specifications.
- Meet departmental objectives as set in conjunction with the Director of Engineering.
- Provide technical assistance to current and prospective customers, as well as estimation and sales personnel.
- Provide engineering expertise to outside sales office and potential clients in the usage of joists and related products.
- Prepare work schedules and expedite workflow in order to meet customer and shop work schedules.
- Assign duties and examine work for exactness, neatness, and conformance to original drawings.
- Coordinate engineering department activities and needs with purchasing, project management, drafting, and production.
- Resolve shop and field quality issues, and provide as-built analysis for load changes.
- Assist subordinates in performing duties.
- Implement and enforce all company rules and regulations.
- Provide corrective actions concentrating on improving the quality and efficiency of department and division, and participate in site-wide continuous improvement activities.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, practices and applicable laws.
- Monitor employee performance; build and maintain the team; coach members for top performance.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in an effective manner with customers, co-workers, clients, and supervisors.
- Bachelor degree (B.S.) in Civil Engineering (specializing in structural engineering).
- Ability to operate specific computer software.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience.
- Professional Engineering registration and ability to obtain licenses in additional states.
- Possess effective and efficient verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate leadership skills.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures, applicable codes, governmental regulations, drawings and job specifications.
Canam is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/Vets/Disabled and participates in the E-Verify program.
Engineering / Drafting