Buckeye, AZ, United States
Canam is the largest fabricator of steel components in North America. Specialized in designing construction solutions and fabricating customized products since 1961, Canam takes part in an average of 10,000 construction projects each year in one activity sector divided into three groups of products and services: buildings, structural steel and bridges. The Corporation operates 25 plants across North America and employs over 4,900 people in Canada, the United States, Romania and India.
Canam is currently seeking a design engineer. The candidate’s main responsibilities will be to design steel building components in accordance with contract documents to meet required industry codes, practices, shop schedules and consistent with corporate mission, values and departmental objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design components to insure individual members and welds meet requirements of applicable specifications and codes (SJI, AISC, AWS, etc.)
- Design building components through the use of computer software or hand calculations.
- Clarify and resolve discrepancies with engineering documents on the production lines.
- Redesign members for greater economy and compare design weight with sales weight.
- Review contract documents and drafting work for completeness and proper depiction of special loading conditions.
- Assist drafters in performing duties.
- Provide technical support to design and shop order technicians.
- Meet shop schedule requirements.
- Meet internal customer requirements (sales, quality, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil (Structural) Engineering or equivalent engineering degree from an accredited college, university or technical school.
- E.I.T. or P.E. Registration
- One to three years experience or training in engineering work or a combination of experience and training preferred; construction experience a plus.
- Demonstrate effective analytical, written and interpersonal skills.
- General office, constant exposure to computer display.
- Occasionally exposed to shop environment: risk of electrical shock, flash burn of eyes, loud noise.
- Personal Protective Equipment must be worn when entering shop (safety boots, safety glasses, ear plugs).
Canam is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/Vets/Disabled and participates in the E-Verify program.