Health and Safety Manager
Entire territory,, Canada
Canam Group is the largest fabricator of steel components in North America. Specialized in designing construction solutions and fabricating customized products since 1961, Canam Group takes part in an average of 10,000 construction projects each year in one activity sector divided into three groups of products and services: buildings, structural steel and bridges. The Corporation operates 25 plants across North America and employs over 4,750 people in Canada, the United States, Romania and India.
Based in one of our US or Canadian offices, the Health and Safety Manager facilitates the implementation of the Health and Safety (H&S) strategic action plan in line with the safety culture. The manager also provides support to the local manufacturing facilities in order to ensure their compliance to the Occupational Health and Safety legislation and Canam’s H&S standards.
- Support the plants’ safety coordinators in delivering the safety strategy and embedding the safety culture down to the shop floor;
- Ensure accurate reporting of incidents, near misses, hazards and good catches;
- Support plants in complying with legal requirements and Canam’s H&S standards;
- Develop and maintain excellent connections within the organization; identify key players within the H&S strategy and issues;
- Conduct monitoring of industry regulations and H&S practices to identify business and operational issues and impacts for the organization;
- Develop action plans to support the improvements identified in hazard and risk analysis;
- Inform and educate employees and managers about H&S;
- Review quality of incident reports, root cause analyses and corrective action plans;
- Identify strategies for continuous improvement in H&S and promote the implementation of H&S awareness campaigns;
- Identify preventive measures applicable to the operations of the organization and develop action plans for their implementation;
- Plan and participate into the manufacturing facilities Internal Safety Audit Process;
- Compile data and information and prepare monthly statistical reports, and update and monitor performance indicators (KPIs);
- Detail and explain statistics and KPIs, and develop action and improvement plans to achieve established goals;
- Develop a H&S training plan and adjust as needed;
- Orchestrate the implementation, improvement and maintenance of the Canam H&S Management System;
- Occasional trips to the different locations of the division (30%).
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Relations or Certificate in Health and Safety combined with relevant experience;
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in Occupational Health and Safety in a manufacturing environment;
- Experience working in a global reach is an asset;
- Experience in a unionized environment is an asset;
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety laws, regulations and standards;
- Must be able to travel;
- Bilingualism (French/English) is an asset, English mandatory.
The Health and Safety Manager will be based in one of our locations in Canada (Calgary, Mississauga, Boucherville, Saint-Georges) or in the United States (Point of Rocks, MD; Jacksonville, FL; etc.)
Environment / Health / Safety