Machine Operator A – Staggered Shift
South Plainfield, NJ, United States
Canam Group is the largest fabricator of steel components in North America. Specialized in designing construction solutions and fabricating customized products since 1961, Canam Group takes part in an average of 10,000 construction projects each year in one activity sector divided into three groups of products and services: buildings, structural steel and bridges. The Corporation operates 25 plants across North America and employs over 4,650 people in Canada, the United States, Romania and India.
This position is for our staggered shift (12 pm – 8:30 pm).
Perform typical machine shop and roll forming press operations to support the production floor.
- Operate roll forming machine, shear operation and other equipment, using basic knowledge of computerized machine functions, machine set-ups and operation;
- Operate press brake to form steel;
- Identify and report defective materials or questionable conditions to the department supervisor;
- Operate overhead cranes;
- Ability to act as leader of roll forming operation;
- Attach appropriate labels and tags to products;
- Load products on flatbed trucks;
- Produce top quality product;
- Meet Customer delivery requirements;
- Maintain the work area and equipment in a clean orderly condition;
- Work safely and follow company safety policies;
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor including, but not limited to, cleaning, scrap removal and other production related jobs.
- High school diploma or GED, preferred;
- Basic knowledge of the English language;
- Ability to read measurements accurately;
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals;
- Some experience preferred in the operation, troubleshooting and repair of production machinery in an industrial manufacturing environment;
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out written and oral instructions.
- Standing for most of the shift, walking, use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls;
- Reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl;
- Capable of lifting 50 lbs;
- Specific vision abilities include: close vision, distant vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Working near moving mechanical parts;
- May be exposed to fumes or airborne particles;
- Occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock;
- Noise in work environment is usually very loud.
Canam is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/Vets/Disabled and participates in the E-Verify program.