Machine Operator C – First Shift
South Plainfield, NJ, United States
Canam is the largest fabricator of steel components in North America. Specialized in designing construction solutions and fabricating customized products since 1961, Canam takes part in an average of 10,000 construction projects each year in one activity sector divided into three groups of products and services: buildings, structural steel and bridges. The Corporation operates 25 plants across North America and employs over 4,687 people in Canada, the United States, Romania and India.
Perform typical machine shop duties to support the production floor.
- Operate overhead cranes, and perform daily operator inspections.
- Identify and report defective materials or questionable conditions to the department supervisor.
- Load products on flatbed trucks.
- Operate forklift.
- Assist welders, benders, loaders and line production.
- Meet customer delivery requirements.
- Participate in Lean activities.
- Maintain the work area and equipment in a clean orderly condition.
- Work safely and follow company safety policies.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor including, but not limited to, cleaning, scrap removal, and other production-related jobs.
- High School Diploma or GED, preferred.
- Basic knowledge of the English language.
- Ability to read measurements accurately.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Some experience preferred in the operation of production machinery in an industrial manufacturing environment.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out written and oral instructions.
- Standing for most of the shift, walking, use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Capable of lifting 50 lbs.
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distant vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Working near moving machinery and cranes.
- May be exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
- Occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock.
- Noise in work environment is usually very loud.
Canam is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/Vets/Disabled and participates in the E-Verify program.