Calgary, AB, Canada
Canam Group is the largest fabricator of steel components in North America. Specialized in designing construction solutions and fabricating customized products since 1961, Canam Group takes part in an average of 10,000 construction projects each year in one activity sector divided into three groups of products and services: buildings, structural steel and bridges. The Corporation operates 25 plants across North America and employs over 4,650 people in Canada, the United States, Romania and India.
The Project Manager is responsible for managing customer projects through interaction with various departments and providing ongoing communication and support to external customers to meet the objectives of the organization.
- Review purchase orders and sales contracts to ensure that legal obligations are met;
- Negotiate and manage subcontracts;
- Review specifications to ensure that the scope of the work is consistent with the bid;
- Review customer requests as necessary to determine change orders;
- Follow up with the credit department on any codes that may affect delivery;
- Manage the release of approvals and fabrication drawings;
- Coordinate with the purchasing department the procurement of raw materials;
- Assist the engineering/drafting department, production coordinator and customers in adhering to project schedules;
- Coordinate and conduct project meetings with all departments;
- Set up and maintain project management history files;
- Maintain communication with customers (phone calls, record of conversations, standard letters and notices);
- Write requests for information and follow up with customers to ensure they receive all requested information;
- Manage drawing and delivery schedules as required by project and production capacity;
- Research accounting issues, as requested by the accounting manager;
- Review and resolve with the site supervisor any field issues that may arise;
- Negotiate and process back charge forms with various departments when claims are received;
- Carry out other job-related duties as assigned by management.
The successful candidate will possess:
- A Bachelor’s degree, Civil Engineering Technology Diploma or Project Management Certificate, or equivalent credentials from a college or technical school, and 8 to 10 years of relative progressive experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience;
- An understanding of engineering theories and principles as well as Canadian engineering standards;
- Superior communication and interpersonal (tact, diplomacy, influence, etc.) skills;
- The ability to communicate effectively with customers and strong customer service orientation;
- Effective problem-solving and decision-making skills;
- Strong negotiating skills;
- The ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written, verbal, diagram or schedule form;
- Exceptional organizational and English communication skills (verbal and written);
- Bilingualism (English and French) an asset;
- Regular and reliable attendance; ability to work overtime and occasional travel to job sites;
- Working knowledge of Google Suite, Microsoft Word, Excel, Project and other software; computer experience with AutoCAD preferred;
- The ability to effectively multitask and manage multiple priorities;
- Knowledge of, and experience with, structural drawings and detailing within the structural steel industry as well as steel fabrication and erection experience;
- Punctuality, maturity, reliability, an ability to work well under pressure with frequent interruptions while delivering exceptional customer service is essential to excel in this role.
Canam offers competitive compensation, profit-sharing, and benefits package, and supports professional development and advancement in the workplace.
323 – 53rd Avenue S.E.
Calgary, AB T2H 0N2
Canam appreciates your interest in this position. Please note, however, that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We reserve the right, upon the candidate’s written authorization and at the company’s expense, to perform criminal, credit and job-related medical background checks as part of the hiring process.