Peru, IL, United States
Develop and put into effect approved objectives, policies, and programs to govern purchasing activities. Comply with the scope of application of the ISO 9000 standard. Perform duties consistent with corporate mission, guiding principles and divisional objectives.
- Establish policies concerning the procurement of materials and supplies and the rental of equipment for the company’s use in such a manner that the maximum value will be obtained per company dollar expended.
- Negotiate in-company with other departments directly involved for the services of whatever outside consultants and engineers may be required to implement programs of modernization, expansion, etc., of the company’s physical properties, and establish policies for administering their activities as they affect contractual considerations.
- Assure the constant exploration for new sources, products, materials, processes, and ideas, and assure that information will be available to other departments in changing specifications or adopting such substitutions as will perform the required function of all purchases at the least cost to the company over the period of their life.
- Assure that purchase sources deliver purchases in the quantity and at the price, quality, and time required, and follow up on major purchase orders to assure delivery on schedule.
- Provide for advantageous sales of obsolete, damaged, scrap or excess equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Administer the ordering and clerical activities involved in purchasing, such as the distribution of bids or inquiries, the receipt of quotations, negotiations, and the receipt and checking of invoices for payment.
- Keep informed of current laws, rules, and regulations affecting the purchasing and delivery of required materials.
- Keep abreast of current developments in the purchasing profession.
- Seek the advice and counsel of others with respect to transportation and outside warehousing aspects of purchases.
- Counsel with and advise the plant superintendents on sound inventory issues for materials, and supplies.
- Seek the advice of Production Superintendent with respect to future production plans, and purchasing and inventory requirements which may arise therefrom.
- Seek the advice of the corporate attorney on the form of major purchase contracts.
- Assure maintenance of sound relations with suppliers and work with them through subordinates to improve items purchased, while seeking constantly to develop new and better sources of supplies.
- Govern all purchasing activities.
- Performs other job duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a concentration in Business from four-year college or university.
- Five years of purchasing management experience.
- Supervisory experience.
- Quality Systems experience.
- Strong business background.
Canam is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/Vets/Disabled and participates in the E-Verify program.