Safety and Environmental Coordinator
South Plainfield, NJ, United States
Canam Group is the largest fabricator of steel components in North America. Specialized in designing construction solutions and fabricating customized products since 1961, Canam Group takes part in an average of 10,000 construction projects each year in one activity sector divided into three groups of products and services: buildings, structural steel and bridges. The Corporation operates 25 plants across North America and employs over 4,900 people in Canada, the United States, Romania and India.
In compliance with the applicable legislation and the corporate Health and Safety requirements, the candidate will manage the overall H&S programs such as; risk assessment, workplace inspections, incident management, emergency response, safety training, and ensure their embedment in the organization.
Support the Canam Lean Initiative through active engagement and participation in continuous process improvement from a Health and Safety perspective.
- Advise higher management regarding applicable H&S legal and corporate requirements;
- Ensure compliance with the H&S applicable legal requirements; stay abreast of corporate and governmental regulatory agencies’ safety and environmental standards and requirements by attending training sessions, seminars, studying published material on compliance; uses knowledge to develop and administer safety and environmental policies and procedures;
- Interpret federal/state/local government regulations to ensure compliance and coordinate with regulatory agencies to negotiate terms of compliance; complete applicable permits/reports;
- Develop and implement programs in line with the Corporate H&S Management System (risk assessment, workplace inspection, machine safety, incident management, working at heights, etc.);
- Identify the H&S training needs and develop appropriate risk-specific training (hazardous material, fork-lift truck, lifting operations, etc.);
- Ensure individuals assigned with H&S responsibilities receive appropriate training (general managers, plant manager, maintenance, direct supervisors, etc.);
- Support the direct supervisors in order to facilitate the implementation of H&S programs;
- Measure the H&S performance and report the results to the Tactical Committee and the Corporate Team;
- Seek H&S continuous improvement by controlling hazards and mitigating risk levels;
- Perform safety audits, inspections, and accident/incident investigations, observe employee activities and workplace conditions, submit recommendations to management to correct deficiencies, eliminate hazards, and improve the overall program;
- Review safety statistics, accident reports, and safety audit results through team safety meetings with employees and management in order to solicit suggestions for improvement and make recommendations;
- Encourage employee participation in safety programs through continual communication, close observation, and committee work;
- Prepare, review and submit accident/injury reports, obtain proper authorization and work with Human Resources to ensure all necessary paperwork is completed/filed;
- Perform other job duties as assigned by manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Health and Safety (related field) plus 1 – 3 years of related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience;
- OSHA-30 Certification;
- Thorough knowledge of safety principles and related Occupational, Health and Safety legal requirements;
- Experience in a safety-related job in a manufacturing environment;
- Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels of the organization and ability to teach others;
- Computer skills, especially to navigate in Excel, Word and PowerPoint (or Google Sheets, Docs and Sildes).
General office and constant exposure to computer display. Daily interaction with production personnel, managers and other staff. Occasionally in the fabrication facility where incumbent may be exposed to welding fumes, paint fumes and loud noises, airborne particles and near moving machinery and cranes. Occasional travel to local/regional vendor locations.
Canam is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/Vets/Disabled and participates in the E-Verify program.
Environment / Health / Safety