Safety, Health and Environment Advisor
Calgary, AB, Canada
Canam Group is the largest fabricator of steel components in North America. Specialized in designing construction solutions and fabricating customized products since 1961, Canam Group takes part in an average of 10,000 construction projects each year in one activity sector divided into three groups of products and services: buildings, structural steel and bridges. The Corporation operates 25 plants across North America and employs over 4,900 people in Canada, the United States, Romania and India.
We have an exciting opportunity for a permanent full-time, professional Safety, Health and Environment Advisor in our Calgary steel joist and deck manufacturing plant.
If you were to come on board as our Safety, Health and Environment Advisor, here are some of the responsibilities we’d ask you to do for us:
- Provide guidance in all areas of health and safety including: investigations, hazard assessments, inspections, training, WCB claims management and modified work;
- Organize, coach and implement health and safety programs, recordkeeping and standardization as required;
- Perform frequent site safety, health and environment inspections/audits to identify all non-compliant equipment or processes. Implement comprehensive solutions to eliminate exposure to these risks and prevent injury;
- Develop and promote awareness campaigns and provide a facility presence to ensure compliance with health, safety and environmental regulations;
- Audit the quality, delivery (including qualifications of the trainer), and effectiveness of all required safety training;
- Work collaboratively with management, employees and contractors to identify and evaluate risks associated with hazards in the workplace and recommend changes to eliminate or control these hazards;
- Interpret federal/provincial/local government regulations to ensure compliance and coordinate with regulatory agencies to convey terms of compliance; complete applicable permits/reports;
- Compile and prepare reports of performance data, safety, health and environment system requirements in partnership with the corporate safety, health and environment team;
- Other duties as required by supervisor.
We’ll know you are the best fit, if you have:
- Post-secondary education (College, University, Accredited Safety trainers) in Occupational Health and Safety, or a related discipline;
- Three to five years’ Health and Safety experience in a manufacturing environment, preferably in the steel fabrication or welding industry (equivalencies will be considered);
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship-building, and English (verbal and written) communication skills;
- The expertise to interact effectively and work confidently to coach, motivate and influence change in a multi-cultural workplace;
- Knowledge of C.O.R audit practices and procedures is an asset;
- Experience implementing Lean principles and process improvement in an operational environment;
- The ability to be an energetic, self-starter who can handle multiple priorities simultaneously with high attention to detail;
- Proficiencies with Google Suite and safety, health and environment systems;
- Punctuality, maturity, reliability, an ability to work well under pressure with frequent interruptions, while delivering exceptional customer service and professionalism, are also essential skills.
Why work for Canam?
- You’ll work in an environment where you will be encouraged to be creative and share your best practices;
- Great team and amazing work culture;
- Competitive remuneration;
- Medical, dental and pension benefits;
- Opportunities for professional development.
Frequent exposure to a steel fabrication environment, where you may be exposed to welding fumes, paint fumes and loud noise; as well as general office and constant exposure to computer display (70% production plant / 30% office). Safety PPE (personal protective equipment) must be worn while onsite (steel-toed safety boots, safety glasses, etc.) Daily interaction with production personnel, managers and other team members.
If this sounds like the right opportunity for you, please send us your resume, highlighting details of your education, and work history. This position is available immediately and will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Canam is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. We reserve the right, upon receiving written consent and at the Company’s expense, to perform criminal, credit and job-related medical background checks as part of the hiring process.
Environment / Health / Safety